The fit of the jacket is one of the essential things that affects your personality and overall look. Wearing a size-perfect jacket makes you look smarter and decent. What if your jacket that you have bought recently is no longer of your size because you have lost weight and you have to wear it in the upcoming special event? Of course, you would look for ways to shrink it to make it appropriate for your size. How to shrink a jacket, whether it is possible or not, and what are the ways you can use to shrink the jacket properly is all I am going to discuss here in today's piece of writing. Let's start with the article that tells you about how to shrink a jacket and everything related to the shrinkage of jackets so you can have an idea about whether you can do it or not. Let's start with the guide below.
How To Shrink A Jacket?
The guide tells about three standard ways that you can use to shrink a jacket and make it your size. Let's start with three basic ways of shrinking a jacket.
3 Ways To Shrink A Jacket
- Machine Washing
- Using Boiling water
- Considering Help From Tailor
Read More: Four Tips To Clean A Dress Shirt
This is one of the easiest and most effective methods to shrink your jacket. In order to shrink your jacket with the use of a machine washing procedure, what you have to do is to:
- Check the tag of the jacket and see whether it is machine washable or not.
- If yes, put your jacket in the washing machine, but make sure to check the pocket beforehand.
- Make sure there are no other clothes in the machine tub; otherwise, they can ruin the jacket.
- Set the machine to the hottest and longest cycle.
- Start the machine and wait until the machine stops.
- Now, take out the jacket and examine whether it has shrunken or not.
- If it has shrunken, according to you, hang it in the hanger and place it in the sunlight to dry it thoroughly.
- Otherwise, if you want to shrink your jacket more, you can place it in the dryer and start the dryer from a low heat setting to a higher setting later on to shrink it more.
Read More: How to Shrink a Dress Shirt
Using Boiling Water
Boiling water is another procedure that you can use to shrink your jacket. In order to shrink your jacket via boiling water, you have to do them,
- Boil a pot of water. Make sure to take a pot that is large enough to hold your jacket in it.
- After the water boils, put your jacket in the boiling water and turn off the flame.
- Make sure to constantly stir your jacket and fold your jacket so that it can fit in the pot and stay inside of the water. You can use a wooden spoon or metal spoon for this purpose.
- Leave it in the hot water for up to 5 to 7 minutes.
- Now remove it from the pot, hang it on the hanger, and place it directly under the sunlight.
- Check whether it has shrunk according to your needs or not.
- If yes, then leave it until it dries completely; if not, dry the jacket by putting it in the dryer machine as told in the previous procedure.
Taking Help From Tailor
Although this is one of the expensive methods, it is one of the most effective and outstanding methods to shrink your jackets. Tailors are professionals who help you alter your clothes in a way that makes them appropriate for your size. What you have to do is to,
- Call your tailor or visit them to tell them about your jacket so they can cut it, alter it, or sew it according to what they think suits the best to size down your jacket.
- Make sure to wear the jacket in front of the tailor.
- He will check and see how much shrinkage you need.
- After that, leave the jacket at the tailor shop and ask him to set it according to your size.
Is it possible to shrink a jacket?
Shrinking of a jacket depends totally upon the fabric used in the manufacturing of the jacket. There are three ways to shrink a jacket: machine washing, putting the jacket in a hot water tub, and giving it to the tailor. You can also choose the procedure that suits you the most.
Will putting a jacket in the dryer shrink it?
Yes, there are chances that your jacket may shrink when you put it in the dryer. This is because the dryer uses hot air in order to dry clothes, which can result in the shrinkage of fabrics. Moreover, with the passage of time and repeated use of the dryer, the jacket fabric not only shrinks but also stretches, ending up making it look worse.
Can you shrink a 100% cotton jacket?
Cotton is basically a machine-washable fabric that shrinks with the general shrinking process. You can shrink a 100% cotton jacket by simply putting it in hot water for some time and then putting it in a dryer at a high heat cycle. Moreover, if your cotton jacket has a finishing layer on its outer surface that is added during production, it will not shrink the way the cotton jacket without this additional finishing layer shrinks.
Does iron shrink clothes?
No ironing does not shrink any fabric; instead, it stretches it due to the application of pressure and heat. Moreover, shrinking occurs during the washing process and drying process and not because of ironing.