If you wear dress shirts often, you must have a poplin dress shirt. It is one of those classic pieces of men’s clothing that’s never out of fashion, but many are unaware of this shirt by name, which is why we are here today. In this article, we will guide you on what is a poplin dress shirt, its characteristics, how you can style it, and much more, so stay tuned.
What Is a Poplin Dress Shirt?
The poplin dress shirt is my go-to, whether for a business meeting or a semi-formal one because it looks elegant. However, many men can’t differentiate between a poplin dress shirt and other shirts. Don’t worry, you are not alone. I was the same a few years ago, but not anymore, because I have learned what a poplin dress shirt is and how it differs from other shirts. Continue reading if you want to know what a poplin dress shirt is.
History of Poplin Shirts
Before we get into our discussion, let’s have a brief introduction and history of a poplin dress shirt. Let's turn the clocks back and know where these shirts originated from. So, poplin shirts got their name from the Papal city of Avignon, France. These shirts are from the 1700s and were made from cotton and silk, giving a stylish look to the fabric. Soon, these shirts became popular in Europe, and this is when poplin shirts got a weave pattern that enhanced their durability and made them lightweight.
How Poplin Shirts are Made?
A poplin dress shirt is usually made from cotton strands. A single type of yarn is used in a crisscross pattern to make these shirts, giving the fabric a smooth texture and making it strong and lightweight. Suppose you want to know what a poplin dress shirt starts with understanding the fabric of these shirts. Differentiating a poplin dress shirt from a sea of shirts is super easy because all poplin shirts are made in the same way: tightly woven fabric in a crisscross manner. Usually, the material of poplin dress shirts is pure cotton, but sometimes other fabrics are blended with cotton for additional benefits. Poplin dress shirts are my favorite for multiple reasons. I love how gentle it feels on my skin when I wear it, and it is super breathable, so even if I wear it for long hours, I don’t feel uncomfortable. Moreover, I am a fan of the versatility of poplin dress shirts. We don’t find enough designs in men's clothing, but that’s not the case with poplin shirts. Whether you like simple white dress shirts or love to wear bold colors, the poplin dress shirt range has got you covered.
Why a Poplin Dress Shirt?If you observe keenly, you will know every other guy around you is wearing a poplin dress shirt. So, if you are thinking about what’s so special about these shirts that makes them everyone’s favorite, read the following points.
- The minimal design and smooth texture of poplin dress shirts effortlessly elevate your style.
- If you can’t decide what to wear, go for a poplin dress shirt because this versatile shirt can be worn in formal as well as casual meetings.
- Moreover, the breathable material makes it ideal for all types of weather, especially in summer.
- The best thing about poplin shirts is that they are durable and look new even after multiple washes.
- Another thing that I like about these shirts is that they are not high-maintenance shirts that suit today’s busy lifestyle.
Where to Wear a Poplin Dress Shirt?I have mentioned a few times in this article that a poplin shirt can be worn in multiple settings, but if you are still confused, read ahead. A poplin dress shirt can be your style statement if you wear it properly. Here’s how I style my poplin shirt according to the occasion.
- A simple, plain poplin shirt paired with a formal suit is my go-to outfit for the corporate environment.
- My poplin dress shirts are not only for business meetings; I flaunt them at weddings and formal dinners. I usually pair it up with well-fitted trousers or a black-tie suit, and I am good to go.
- The best thing is you can go in a poplin shirt to meet your friends or attend a casual meet up but instead of wearing a suit over it, pair your shirt with jeans or chinos, and that’s it, you are ready for a fun day with your friends.
Read More: Folding and Packing Dress Shirts
Want to Buy a Poplin Dress Shirt? Get the Right SizeIf you don’t own a poplin dress shirt, then you must want to buy one after reading this article. So to make a poplin dress shit elevate your style, you need to get the right size of the shirt. Here’s how to get a perfect poplin shirt to elevate your style.
- Measure your collar size, sleeve length, Shoulder width, and waist size to know what shirt size will fit you perfectly.
- Write down all the measurements on a paper.
- Match your measurements with the poplin shirt sizes of your favorite men’s clothing brand.
- Go through their size chart to find your perfect size poplin shirt.
- Once you find your size in the poplin shirts, buy it and style it in your way.
Is Poplin good for a dress shirt?
Yes, Poplin is a great piece of clothing that is a favorite of many clothing brands. Its breathability, versatility, easy maintenance, and comfortability make it a perfect shirt. Moreover, its fabric can be dyed easily, so these shirts are also available in different prints and patterns.
What is the difference between cotton and poplin shirts?
Poplin shirts are also made from cotton, but their manufacturing process differs. The cotton used to make poplin dress shirts is a little heavier and a lot smoother than the cotton shirts.
Is Poplin for hot weather?
Yes, Poplin is an excellent choice to wear in hot weather. The lightweight, breathable material and smooth texture of poplin dress shirts keep you comfortable in hot weather for a long time.
Does poplin shirts need ironing?
Usually, poplin shirts do not need ironing because they are naturally wrinkle-resistant. However, if you want a cleaner look, steam it at a low temperature to smooth it out.
Read More: How To Wear Sweater Over Dress Shirt