How to Tuck in a Dress Shirt Like a Pro | Tips and Tricks
How do you tuck in a dress shirt like a pro? This is the question most men ask when entering corporate life. Though it is not very challenging, having an idea of the rules and methods can help you master the art of tucking in a dress shirt. Want to know more about it? Keep on reading.
Unsaid Universal Rules for Tucking in a Dress Shirt
Before we dive directly into the methods and techniques, it is better to develop an understanding of what is appropriate and is not suitable for tucking in the dress shirts. There are some unsaid rules you must follow while entering the corporate setting. So, dive right in to know more.
The shirt length matters a lot when it comes to tucking, and you do not want to go for shirts that are more than three inches below the belt line. This length is ideal, as it is long enough to stay tucked in and not stuffed up while being tucked. Though some people also like four inches below the belt line, it all comes down to your preferences.
The second important thing is the perfect alignment, as it is going to make your shirt look neat, tidy, and structured, which eventually looks easy on the eyes. The best way to do this is to imagine a straight line coming down your shirt's buttonline. You need to take this as a guide and keep your trousers in the center of this line for a put-together look.
Moreover, you also need to be mindful of the extra fabric that can get in your way of tucking in the dress shirts. If you wear the dress shirt and feel like there is excess material, go to your tailor and alter it for a custom fit. If it is not, you are good to go as long as it looks tidy and neat.
Finally, you need a pant that is grippy enough to keep the shirt tucked in for a longer time. The best alternative for this is shirt-gripping waistbands, as they help you maintain a seamless structure that has no creases or folds. Similarly, I would advise you to add a belt to excel the belt and protect the entire look.
4 Popular Tuck Methods
There are several tucking methods men use in corporate settings. Here are the four most used techniques you can do with minimal effort and amazing results. So, keep on reading to find out more.
Method 1: The Basic TuckTypically, most people prefer the basic tuck, as it is straightforward and works best for routine work. It's almost the first thing you learn after buying your first dress shirt. Follow these simple steps to do the basic dress shirt tuck.
- Start by wearing your pants, but do not button or zip them.
- Next, tuck your shirt in and make sure the seams are perfect.
- Pull the pants up, close the zipper, and button up the shirt. Congratulations, it is done; you may fasten your belt.
Method 2: Military TuckAs the name implies, this tuck is most common among men in the military, as it allows free movement and gives you extra space. Here is how you can do it.
- Wear your pants unbuttoned.
- Tuck your shirt in and zip the pants, leaving the buttons open.
- Stand straight and balance your weight in such a way that your pants are still on.
- Next, pinch in the extra fabric from the side seams using the thumb and index finger.
- Make sure you have nice, seamless pleats on each side of the pants.
- Now that it is done, you can button up the pants and tighten them with the belt.
Method 3: Layered TuckThe next tuck is the layered tuck, known for its efficiency. It works great for anyone who has to move around and wears an undershirt. Here is how you can do a layered tuck.
- First of all, tuck your undershirt into underwear. Make sure it is seamless from all sides.
- Now, wear the pants and tuck your shirt in it. Next, button up your pants and close the zipper.
- Make sure the shirt fabric is not peeking from the pants, and everything is seamless.
- Finally, tighten it by fastening the belt.
Method 4: The Shirt StaysLast but my all-time favorite tucking apparatus is the shirt stays, as it is the most convenient and involves no pinching; with this method, you can directly wear the shirt stays and forget about everything. These inners are perfect for anyone who does manual labor and needs to move around.
- Clip the shirt stays from the back of your shirt and goes to the back of the sock.
- Likewise, clip them from the front of your shirt to the front of your sock.
- Finally, adjust the stays and make sure you feel comfortable and it has a secure fit.
Does tucking in your shirt make you look professional?
Yes, tucking in a dress shirt definitely makes you look mature, sharp, and professional. So, if you are entering a corporate setting, it is better that you learn to tuck in your dress shirt.
How do you tuck in like a pro?
Find a shirt that is three inches down the beltline, and make sure it has no excessive fabric. Similarly, go for pants with gripping waistbands. Both these fabrics can help you tuck in like a pro.
How do you keep a dress shirt tucked in?
If you need to love around a lot and need an alternative to keep the shirts stayed in for longer, opt for shirt stays.